Career Path: What is a Cybersecurity Specialist?
Cybersecurity Professionals detect cyberthreats and implement changes to protect an organization. A security operations center (SOC) team likely has several tiers of cybersecurity professionals that are responsible for monitoring, directing, containing, and remediating IT threats. Cybersecurity Professionals may be tasked with anything from installing, administering, and troubleshooting security solutions to writing up security policies and training documents for colleagues. While other job roles are responsible for specific part of the overall system, Cybersecurity Professionals must be able to take a step back and see the big picture to keep it secure from threats.
Other IT Jobs You Can Get with Certifications
Required skills at this level
- Scan and assess network for vulnerabilities
- Monitor network traffic for unusual activity
- Investigate a violation when a breach occurs
- Install and use software to protect sensitive information
- Prepare reports that document security breaches
- Research new security technology
- Help end-users when they need to install or learn about new products and procedures